Monday 18 November 2013

ENCHILADAS with CHUNKY SALSA, CHEESY SAUCE & SPICY NUT MEAT


Enchilada police: arrest me now. These are too delicious to be legal. A chunky salsa of avocado, tomato, onion and cilantro mixed with a walnut taco meat spiced with cumin and coriander, all wrapped up in raw tomato-corn tortillas and covered in a creamy cashew cheese sauce. This is savoury food heaven.


I got mono from a friend on Thursday, and then proceeded to do the opposite of what I should have done; I partied all weekend instead of staying home and resting. It was worth it! But now I'm feeling pretty low. Also, on Friday night I did something kinda stupid and now a person I care deeply about doesn't want to talk to me for awhile. This is not helping my condition. To combat my emotional and physical sickness so far, I have downloaded The Very Best of Enya (don't judge me), composed a list of important documentaries to watch, and made these enchiladas.


Honestly I'm not feeling much better yet, but I hope it's just a matter of time... before this person wants to see my face again AND before I can swallow painlessly again. ONLY TIME. Ha-ha. Get the Enya reference? Okay, I'll stop.


Back to food. These are epic. Not authentic at all (you can't be when you make something raw and vegan, just being frank here), but mind-blowingly tasty nonetheless. It's quite a simple recipe and doesn't take long to make at all, not including dehydration time for the tortillas. The taco nut meat is almost too good to be true, and the cashew cheese sauce will make you sing. It goes without saying that the salsa is fabulous. Make these now, then freak out with joy.


ENCHILADAS with SALSA, CHEESY SAUCE & NUT MEAT

Tortillas:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup corn 
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cashew cheese:
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons miso 
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 garlic clove
3/4 cup water, as needed
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Taco meat:
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Cumin and coriander, to taste
Salt, to taste 

Salsa:
2 tomatoes
1/2 onion
1 avocado
1/3 cup fresh cilantro 
Juice from 1/2 lemon 
Salt and pepper, to taste

To make the tortillas: put the onion, corn and tomato in your food processor and pulse until it becomes all mushy, add the flax seeds and salt and pepper and process until it thickens up. Spread this mixture evenly into 3 large circles on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate for 1 few hours or until they are pliable. Alternatively, you can spread the mixture on parchment paper-lined baking pans and put them in the oven at the lowest temperature. That's what I did. 

To make the cheese: blend all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into a bowl and set aside. 

To make the taco nut meat: pulse all the ingredients in your food processor until it forms a crumbly mixture. Put in a bowl and set aside. 

To make the salsa: chop up the produce, throw it in a bowl, and season it with the lemon juice and salt and pepper. 

Assembly: fill up your tortillas with salsa, nut meat and a little bit of cheese, then roll them up and cover them all with more cheese sauce and the remains of your other fillings. You'll have left over cheese sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

this also best choice to make beef bourguignon if you are have party